Bulky or heavy looking breast which once seemed a mirage can now be seen in reality. Breast augmentation is one such method. Women can opt for this surgery due to several reasons. The reasons may revolve around under developed breast, disproportion of the breast, or changes in size of the breast after breast feeding or pregnancy. Breast augmentation (breast implant surgery) is one of the most sought after treatment for improving the size and shape of the breast. Breast implant surgery is also recognized as a boob job, augmentation mammoplasty, or breast enlargement.
What is Breast Augmentation ?
Breast augmentation surgery, also known as augmentation mammoplasty, is the process in which the implants are placed below the breast to broaden or enlarge the size of the breast. The different factors on which the type and size of implants are done are the thickness of the skin, elasticity of the skin , body type and breast anatomy. The surgery is performed to increase fullness, to restore breast volume lost after weight reduction or pregnancy and to improve the overall symmetry of the breast.
Breast Implant Surgery
- Enlarge small breast
- Can reconstruct the breast following mastectomy
- Can add more volume to the breast after weight loss or pregnancy
- Can help in reshaping the asymmetric breast
Types of Breast Implants
- Saline Breast Implant : These implants have salt water (saline solution) within the pliable silicone shell. Saline breast implant is a secure procedure but problems like deflation, sloshing and rippling can occur.
- Silicon Breast Implant : Silicone implants are the most commonly used and have circular or teardrop shape (anatomic)
Before Breast Implant Surgery
Before starting the surgery, a thorough medical examination is done to know the breast design which includes symmetry, size and in accordance with the rest of the body. Medical tests are also conducted to know if there is any breast disease. The size of the implant to be chosen depends on different factors.
- The size of the chest
- Skin covering of the chest
- Your expectation/desire
- The quantity of the breast tissue
- Droopy or saggy breast after breast feeding
Baseline mammogram and the blood tests are done.
Incisions Breast Augmentation
Here are different approaches for breast augmentation- infra mammary and circum areolar approach.
- Infra Mammary : An incision of about 5 cm is made by the surgeon below the breast so that the final scar is on the crease under the breast. As this part of the breast is not so visible, many women opt for the access from this part only.
- Circum Areolar : In this, the incision is made in the areola’s lower half of the circle and it is generally for those women who in future do not want to plan any more pregnancies. This is so because the milk apparatus gets injured after the incision has been made.
The not so frequently used technique is Trans Axillary, where an incision is made in the crease of the underarm area. The access is made from the navel using by using TUBA breast augmentation (Trans Umbilical). The 2 approaches are achievable only with saline implants.
Who should consider Breast Augmentation ?
- Clothes that fit well around your hips are often too large at the bustline
- Your breast has become smaller and lost their firmness after having children
- You feel conscious wearing a swimsuit or body fitted top
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breast are too small.
Procedure for Breast Augmentation
The procedure of breast augmentation is done under local anesthesia and the surgery takes approximately two hours to finish. Locations required for placing the implant-
- Under the muscle (sub muscular)
- Dual plane ( the upper part below the muscle and the lower is under the gland)
- Under the gland
The emphasis is on making a particular pocket by taking in consideration the implant type along with the different breast characteristics. To check the sufficiency of the pocket, disposable sizes are used. To keep away from any kind of complications and to put the correct size implant in the pocket, no touch technique is used.
Post Breast Augmentation
The period after the surgery is satisfying and very much tolerable. The patients can face little discomfort, swelling or stretching and sometimes bruising can also be expected. After 3 days' time, the patients can start their routine activities. There can be a little breast sensation, but the sensation reduces after a few weeks.
Cost of Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast implants surgery cost in India has become very popular as they are available at very affordable price. Many patients from across the world visits to seek breast implant surgery in India. The treatment is carried out in many Indian cities having some of the best hospitals equipped with latest technologies.