What is a Bunion?
A bunion is a painful state due to enlargement or overgrowth of the big toe joint. Here, the first long metatarsal bone drifts away from the others in the opposite direction. This protruding bone rubs against the shoe and causes irritation and pain.
Different Types of Bunions
It is of the following types:
- Small (mild)
- Medium (moderate)
- Large (severe)
- Hammertoes - A condition due to muscle imbalance where the toe is bent in a claw-like position.
What are the causes of bunions?
Some bunions occur over the years while the other may progress rapidly. Some bunions are painful while the others are not and not this does not depend on the size. Following are the causes:
- Shoe gear
- Tight or pointy shoes
- High heels
Candidates for Bunion Surgery
- Difficulty in walking
- Difficulty in fitting shoes
- Worsening bunion condition
- Pain at the ball of the foot
- Failed conservative measures
Bunion Treatment Options
There are three kinds of Bunion treatments:
- Non-surgical – Every bunion does not require a surgery and can be cured with non-surgical treatments such as wider shoes, orthotics (inserts) and activity modifications.
- Surgical – A surgery is inclusive of an incision on the top or on the side of the big toe joint. Removal or realignment of the soft tissue and bone is performed here. If there is severe deformity, there is involvement of stitches, tiny wires, plates or screws. Another option is minimally invasive surgery also.
- Laser - In this surgery, a laser beam is focused which vaporizes the tissue and converting water present in cells into a steam. Bones are thicker containing less water that soft tissue and are easier to vaporize.
Foot Bunion Surgery Post-Operative Care
After surgery, one needs to take care of a number of things:
A plaster cast will be on the patient’s foot, which might be painful for which he will be given injections or medicines. If the pain gets worse, a general anesthetic might help. The plaster cast is changed and the stitches are removed in around three weeks. Do not get the plaster cast wet or press it unnecessarily.
After check-up the patient goes home, keep your foot on a high level but you can move around even climb stairs but driving is prohibited. For the first few weeks, you are confined within your home. Your toe might gets properly healed six months time.
You might need to consult your doctor if:
- You cannot move the toe
- Your toe is numb
- Your toe has become blue
- Your toe is swollen
- You have severe pain
Success rate of Bunion Surgery
The success rate of bunion surgery is generally high, that might as high as 85 percent. People who do not get any benefit from this surgery is very small. The success largely depends on the lifestyle of the individual. One should adopt a healthy lifestyle. Get a full body check-up done (BP, lungs, heart etc.). If you are on any medication then before surgery show it your doctor who will take the decision about the surgery.
Cost of Bunion surgery in India
In comparison to the western countries, the cost of bunion surgery in India is quite affordable. You can get the best of personalized medical services without shelling out a huge amount of money. The doctors are internationally trained and get the assistance of learned and dedicated staff. The technology, machinery and equipment that are used are the latest ones in the field.