Our lives in the times of today are filled with stress and tension, making headaches a common problem. The problem of headache is prevalent in people of all ages and can occur any time. If the condition gets worsen, it can also cause nausea and vomiting as well. Dehydration, migraine, restlessness, stress, lack of sleep, sinus problems, and tension are some of the common reasons of headache.
At most of the times, we purchase over-the-counter medicines for curing any kind of headache. Nevertheless, there also are a number of simple natural home remedies for getting relief from pain.
Below written are easy ways to get rid of a headache quickly:
1. Ice Pack
You can place an ice pack or a cold compress on your forehead for numbing the pain. This will be shrinking the blood vessels, thereby improving circulation to the paining area. If you have e headache because of sinus problem or because of stress, you can use this therapy.
- Take a thin towel and wrap it around some crushed ice or a few ice cubes. Now place this pack against your forehead for a few minutes. If you do not have ice pack, you can also use a bag of frozen vegetables in its place. Directly applying ice will be damaging your skin.
- After the ice pack therapy, place a cold cloth on your head and temples for around 10 minutes. Till the time you get relief, repeat this process.
Not many know but lemon is an extremely effective thing for treating headaches as they are known to have a relaxing and refreshing result. Lemon also helps in maintain the acid-alkaline balance in our bodies.
- If you drink warm water after mixing one-half of a lemon in it, it is going to reduce the intensity of your headache. This remedy is going to help you if you are having a headache because of gas in your stomach.
- Another thing that you can do to relive your pain is applying lemon crust on your forehead by making a paste of it.
Apple as well as apple cider vinegar also helps in fighting headaches as both these also help in restoring restore the acid-alkaline balance in the body. Also, just by smelling green apples you can reduce the pain of headache due to migraine.
- If you have just woken and are suffering from a headache, eat a piece of apple by sprinkling some salt on it. After eating, drink some warm water.
- Another option is to take a bowl with scorching hot water. Add 3 – 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Now take steam from it by holding a towel over your head. Do this for around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Take a glass of water and add 2 teaspoons of some apple cider vinegar in it along with lemon juice and a little honey. Drink this at least 2 – 3 times in one day.
4. Hot Water
If you headache is due to stress, just apply heat on the back of your neck. This is going to relieve the pain by relaxing tense muscles.
- Take a hot water bag and put on the back of your neck or you can just take a hot shower by directing the water at the same place.
- Another thing that can be done is that you a tub with very hot water. Now put your hands in it for around 10 – 15 minutes. This is going to improve the circulation of blood, resulting relief from headache.
- Constant headaches can treated by dipping legs in a bucket that is filled with hot water. This can be done for 10 minutes before hitting the bed.
5. Betel Leaves
Betel leaves can treat your headache in a matter of just few minutes as they own cooling and analgesic properties.
- You can simply chew 1 or 2 betel leaves for curing your headache.
- Or, make fine paste of 2 to 3 leaves in a grinder, and apply it on your temples and forehead. Leave this on for half an hour’s time. You will get rid of your pain quickly.
Severe headache can be treated with peppermint that is known to have soothing and calming properties.
- Bowl one cup of water and make herbal tea by adding 1 tablespoon of dried peppermint into it. Now cover this and let it simmer for around 8 minutes. Strain the tea, add some honey. Sip this slowly to get rid of pain.
- Another option is gently massaging your temples, back of your neck, and jaw using peppermint oil. This is going to lessen the pain.
- You can also lessen pain and symptoms like vomiting and nausea by inhaling the calming aroma of peppermint steam.
To relive headache due to dehydration, consume lots of fluids. It is important that in case of headache, one should not consume alcohol as its will only add to dehydrate the body further.
- If pain in your head starts, drink a glass of water. Keep on consuming small sips of water all throughout the day.
- You can also consume sports drinks, along with water. The electrolytes present in sports drinks can treat headaches caused by tension and dehydration.
Anti-inflammatory properties in ginger can also reduce the pain during headache. Eating ginger helps in reduction in brain swelling, in relaxing blood vessels in the head, and also in stimulating natural opiates in brain so that the pain is reduced. For reducing pain in the head and inflammation in body, you can just drink ginger tea, 3 times in one day. Ginger offers big relief from headache.
If you have been exposed to cold air and you are now suffering from headache, cinnamon is one herb that is really going to help you out in a wonderful manner.
- Make powder of some cinnamon sticks by putting in grinder.
- Make a thick paste by adding some water.
- Apply this paste on your forehead and temples. Now just lie down for half an hour.
- Wash if off with lukewarm water.
10. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is also known to have pain-relieving as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It also relaxes tensed muscles that causes headaches. This oil has a calming effect. Massage your temples and forehead with eucalyptus oil for 15 to 20 minutes. You can also add almond oil or coconut oil to it.
[You may read more on Neuro and Spine Surgery in India]