What are INTACS ?
Mild Myopia or nearsightedness is corrected through INTACS (Intracorneal Rings or Intrastromal Corneal Ring Segments). Intacs are basically tiny rings made of biocompatible material. These tiny rings are placed in those patients who are suffering from Keratoconus so as to improve the visual acuity and topographic images of the patients. The purpose of these Intacs is to reshape the cornea without troubling the visual axis. If required, these Intacs can be removed but are usually positioned permanently. For determining the amount of flattening, these Intacs are prepared in different thicknesses. The amount of flattening is the key factor that determines the vision correction. The treatment is approved for correcting -1.0 to -3.0 diopters of myopia and that should be not over than 1 diopter of astigmatism. The minimally invasive surgery of Intacs corneal implants is primarily used for treating Keratoconus.
Candidates for INTACS
- Candidates who do not have high levels of refractive error or excessive thin corneas.
- Candidates who have healthy eyes.
- Candidates who are 21 years of age or more.
- Candidates who are dissatisfied by wearing contact lenses or glasses.
- Candidates who understand that using of contact lenses or glasses may be required for a few activities after surgery.
- Intacs has no upper age limit.
- Candidates who had no change in prescription for contact lens or glasses for at least a year.
The eyes are first numbed by using anesthetic drops. In order to prevent the blinking of the eye, the surgeon inserts a speculum. The surgical procedure starts by making a tiny incision in the cornea. By using the centering guide which is placed on the surface, the Intacs are inserted and the 2 microscopic tunnels are made in the periphery of the cornea. The surgeon then closes the opening and can also apply antibiotic drops. Some patients notice improvement in their vision immediately after the procedure. The entire surgery takes about 1 hour.
Benefits of Intacs
- Intacs does not change the curvature of the cornea.
- It has been seen that 97% of people with Intacs have a driver’s license and they do not require contact lenses or eyeglasses.
- Improvement in vision can be noticed on the same day.
- No tissue is removed in Intacs.
- Around 50% of people who have Intacs have 20/20 vision or even better.
- Flexibility for prescription changes
- The patient cannot feel the implants once they are inserted.
- It does not involve any maintenance unlike in contact lenses.
Laser and Intacs
There are differences between the laser surgery and Intacs implants. In laser surgery, reshaping of the cornea is done permanently. This involves the removal of tissue from its central optical zone. There is no removal of tissue in Intacs though Intacs implants require certain incisions in the cornea. The tissue that has been removed can never grow back again and also cannot be replaced. The natural aging process is continually changing our vision. During laser surgery, more tissues are removed for correcting the vision. While in Intacs, the new implants are placed from where the implants have been removed.
Intacs For Keratoconus
Keratoconus is a progressive disease of the eye that results in thinning of the cornea ( the clear front surface of the eye). Intacs corneal implants are used for correcting astigmatism connected with Keratoconus and also for nearsightedness. The people who are suffering from this eye disease faces deterioration in their vision. The Keratoconus condition cannot be treated by using contact glasses or lenses. Earlier the corneal transplant was the only option for treating Keratoconus but Intacs is increasingly used now. Intacs corneal implants are meant for those people who are experiencing intolerance to contact lenses. These implants are the best way for improving vision and stabilizing the cornea.
Cost of Intacs Treatment
The treatment of Intacs in India is very affordable. All the treatments in India are done by trained doctors and specialists in the presence of the best medical facilities and services.