Psoriasis is a chronic disorder which affects the skin and joints which is characterized by flaking dry skin, redness and also the red areas on the skin gets covered with fine silvery scales. This Psoriasis condition originates in the immune system. It is not a cosmetic problem or a skin disorder. Psoriasis is actually an autoimmune disorder which results in hyper proliferation of the skin. Psoriasis is non-infectious and people in between the age of 15-40 suffer from this chronic disease. It is a long term skin condition and it is not unusual for Psoriasis to clear for years and stay in remission. People with this disease may face social embarrassment, emotional distress, job stress and other issues relating to the appearance of the skin.
Signs and Symptoms of Psoriasis
- The areas affected typically looks red or pink with a dry skin and can involve any part of the body
- It has many different appearances like small flattened bumps, red patches and mildly dry pink skin with big flakes.
- On the nails it appears like a very small pit or as a large yellowish-brown separations of the nail bed called oil spots.
- On the scalp it may appear like dandruff and it may be difficult to tell the difference between scalp Psoriasis and dandruff
Psoriasis Management Programme in Ayurveda Charaka focuses on the blood purification and balancing the vitiated doshas. It comprises of different therapies like-
- Very strict diet regime
- Stress management
- Lifestyle changes
- Shodhana Chikitsa (detoxification) through Panchakarma therapies
- Shamana Chikitsa through internal medications and external applications
- Rasayana Chikitsa through kayakalpa
By following these therapies and the diet regime, Psoriasis is completely curable without any recurrence through Ayurveda.