The best solution of tooth replacement that modern dentistry offers today is Dental Implants. Quite good at their work, their main advantage is their longevity. In theory, dental implants can last for a lifetime but it becomes possible because of a number of factors. It was from mid-1960’s, that dental implants were being for replacing missing teeth. However, from the past few years, they are being largely used. Dental Implant is a safe and a convention option to get natural-looking teeth. It can be used for supporting crowns for the replacement of single missing teeth, for dentures and for supporting bridges that involves restoration of a large span of missing teeth.
Components of Dental Implants
A dental implant is done in 2 parts- the actual implant and the dental crown.
- The actual implant (Eternal roots) is fixed in the jawbone, like the tooth root.
- The dental crown (Enduring Crowns) is the visible portion of the dental implant.
Need of Dental Implants
Dental implants are quite advantageous in comparison to dentures, crowns and bridges:
- The feel and appearance of implants are natural.
- They function in the similar manner as natural teeth. One experience no difficulty in cleaning the teeth or while eating.
- If adjacent teeth are healthy, they do not need to be filled as supports to the missing teeth or tooth. Thus, the need of root fillings becomes less.
- With the help of dental implants, a strong grip can be given to removable dentures.
- In the case of dental implants, no special glue is required for holding false teeth in the required place.
- With dental implants, the natural process of bone renewal is stimulated, helping in a good appearance of the face as well as the restored teeth.
Candidate of Dental Implant
This procedure is appropriate for anyone with one or more missing teeth and wishes to improve his chewing ability and physical appearance. However,
- It is important that the bone tissue of the patient should be developed fully.
- The patient should be 18 years of age or more.
- If you are thinking about implants, your mouth should be in a healthy condition, with no gum disease or untreated tooth decay. These conditions may lead to dental implant failure or development of an infection.
- The dentist offers this treatment to those who have a healthy oral hygiene.
When are dental implants not suitable?
Dental implants might not be a suitable option in the following conditions:
- If the jaw line is not sufficiently thick for the accommodation of implants, due to this bone grafting becomes impossible.
- If a patient has the problem of unrestrained diabetes and untreated periodontitis, implants cannot be done because of fear of infection and slow healing.
- Dental implants cannot be done in people with blood clotting problems and some bone diseases, any kind of a deficiency in the immune system, drug abuse and systemic illnesses.
- People who smoke, their efficiency of healing becomes lower and they become more likely a candidate of a failed dental implant.
How Long Dental Implants Last?
It is no exaggeration if one says that dental implants can last forever. But it is extremely necessary that a person should be healthy and have great bones. If a patient has a good oral hygiene, his implants will surely last for a lifetime. Today, dental implants are the most successful in the cases of tooth replacement options. You must continue, brush, floss and use of dental water jet. One just needs to take proper care of their implants. Regular dental check-ups are also necessary. Although they can be called a permanent restoration but the success of dental implants depends on several factors:
- A professional and highly-qualified Dentist
This is one of the most important factors for the longevity of your dental implant. The dentist who has performed the procedure plays an important part. He should be the one who is clear about the main idea of neuromuscular dentistry and how they can help his patient.
- Superior materials
Although the basics of a dental implant surgery have been the same for decades but superior materials are now being used by the dentists. Mainly, ceramic or a metal or a combination-type of an implant us put in the hollow bone space, below the gum line. An abutment or a post protrudes out and gets the prosthesis, both in the case of a crown or a bridge. All these changes are a result of technological advancements.
- An improved match
Because of advancement in technology, Titanium implants are chemically treated for improving their compatibility with the living tissue. For a good replacement and fitting along with the other teeth, Computer Assisted Design (CAD) is now used.
- Are dental implants for you
A dental implant is a good option, but you need to be sure is this a perfect treatment for you. This procedure is not for people with gum disease, with smoking problem and the ones who are on heavy medication.
Risk Factors For Dental Implant Failure
If there has been no problem in the healing process after a dental implant, the most probable reason of the failure of a dental implant becomes an insufficient oral hygiene. If one will not clean the tooth or teeth properly, there will be bacteria build-up on the surface of the implant, leading to inflammation of the mucous membrane that surrounds the implant – mucositis. If this condition is left untreated, this can lead to an even more dangerous condition of peri-implantitis. In this situation, there is inflammation as well as bone loss around the implant finally leading to the implants become loose. Other two risk factors include a poorly aligned bite and trauma to the tooth or jaw.
It is clear that dental implants can be the best thing today as far as replacement of a missing tooth or teeth is concerned. But one just needs to be a little careful about his oral hygiene habits after the procedure to make it a success. In recent years, India has become one of the most sought-after for this procedure. Dental Implant cost in India, in comparison to the Western countries is quite affordable. Patients from all around the world visit to get the best of medical facilities at lower rates.