Turning slim and shunning fat is the new fad these days. Not many know that there is good fat too that assists in weight loss and helps in prevention of a number of diseases. The good news is that the eggs and cheese which you love are not actually bad for you. If consumed in right proportion and from good source, fat is actually good for our bodies.
Fat is one of the most important body building materials. If we look at a healthy person, his or her body has around 15 to 30 percent fat. However, from past so many decades people have been following low-fat diets leading to consumption of high-refined carb and high-sugar, causing a number of health-related problems. To put things straight, one must understand, not fat but sugar is the real culprit.
This page deals with everything you know need to know about good fat. Here is the truth about fat. 10 facts you need to know are:
- Not fat, sugar is increasing your waistline- The average consumption of flour and sugar every year is around 152 pounds and 146 pounds, respectively. When we consume more amount of sugar, a situation of numbness to insulin gets created in our cells. Our body produces more insulin to bring the level of blood sugar down as burning all sugar that we consume is not possible. As a result, this excess sugar gets stored in our body as fat, leading to insulin resistance and creating big trouble for our metabolism.
- Dietary fat is complex than sugar- Sugar has around 257 names but in spite of slight differences, the amount of damage that it causes is the same. Be clear, that Sugar is Sugar, and is going to cause trouble for you. On the other side, mat is more complex such as trans, saturated, polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated fat along with more subcategories added to them. While some fats are neutral some are food and a few are bad too.
- Low-fat diets means high-sugar diet and unhealthy heart- When one is consuming a low-fat diet he indirectly is eating a diet that is high on sugar. This is a cause of dense cholesterol which increases the risk of heart attacks. As per studies, 75 percent of patients with heart attacks in the emergency room have high cholesterol levels along with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes
- Saturated fat is not harmful- According to a recent research, there is no relation between heart disease, and saturated fat. The main thing to keep in mind is the quality of fat that is being consumed as every kind of fat has its own effect. For instance, the effect saturated fat in coconut oil is going to be different from fat in a cheese burger. Thus, all fats are not the same.
- There are a few fats that are not healthy- Such fats are trans fat and vegetable oils like sunflower oil, soybean oil, caorn oil, canola oil and more as they have a amount of biologically active fats or Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids that are very harmful. However, the case is not the same with coconut oil and olive oil that are very good for you. Without our realization, processed oils and trans fat have become a bigger part of our diet, causing inflammation and making us fat.
- Omega 3s is beneficial for all- Most of the people consume less of this fat. The right amount of this fat comes by eating sustainably raised or wil cold-water fish (two times in a week), consuming an omega-3 supplement (once in breakfast and dinner, 500 – 1,000 milligrams), and omega-3 rich eggs.
- Eat fat to be lean- Healthy cell walls are made up of high-quality fats which can easily metabolize insulin, in turn regulating blood sugar. When the levels of blood sugar are not in control, the body starts stocking fat for the important days. The good fats cuts hunger, increases fat burning, and reduces the storage of fat. This simply means eat right fats to lose weight as excess sugar and wrong fats mean trouble.
- Right fats also assist in healing- It has been seen that a good number of patients of diabetes were blessed with improvement health when they consumed a diet rich in fat. Right fat simply means a healthy body and weight loss.
- Our brains are around 60 percent fat- From this 60 percent, omega-3 fat called docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is the largest in proportion. DHA helps in communication between the cells. This fat is also helpful in other senses/abilities such as learning, cognition, memory and cognition. Please take note that the deficiency of these fatty acids lead to bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, and anxiety.
- Try to catch the signals when your body tells that whether you are consuming abundant quality fat or not- The better the quality of fat consumption, the better is going to be the functioning of our body. This is because, this fat helps the body in building cell walls. Every single of the 10 trillion cell in our body required high-quality fat. If your body is not getting the required amount of fats, it gives you the following warning signals:
- Small bumps on the back of your torso or arms
- Scaly, dry, itchy, or flaky skin
- Hardened earwax
- Brittle, soft, or cracked nails
- Painful or inflexible joints
If you consume the right kind of fats, you would notice improvement in your skins, nails, hair, and mood, along with offering protection against cancer, Type 2 diabetes, dementia and so on. Following are the sources of some good fat:
- Nuts such as pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, and almonds. Do not peanuts in this list. As per studies, by consuming a handful nuts on a daily basis, death can be reduced by different causes by 20 percent.
- Seeds like sesame, pumpkin, hemp, and chia
- As per studies, extra virgin olive oil is beneficial too. Those who consumed 1 liter of this oil in a week, their risk of heart attack was reduced by 30 percent.
- Fatty fish like wild salmon, sardines, herring, and mackerel are a good source of omega-3 fats.
- Benefits of extra virgin coconut butter, as a plant-based source of saturated fat are many. It is anti-inflammatory, energies mitochondria, is anti-inflammatory, and does not leads to a problem with cholesterol.
- Grass eating or sustainably raised animal products.