The movement and power in hands and wrists are controlled by muscles and tendons. Hand and wrist surgery refers to the treatment of bones and soft tissue injuries with the use of the latest equipments and tools.
Who should consider hand & wrist surgery ?
It is not necessary that people who have arthritis-related problems with their hands and wrists, need surgery. But those who need it, surgery is a great help in relieving pain and in the improvement of the functioning of the hand.
Whether a surgery is needed or not, following become the considerations:
- The severity of problem
- The preferences of the patient
- Response of the patient to other treatments
Most Common Hand and Wrist Injuries
Following are some of hand and wrist conditions which need surgery:
- Bone and Joint Problems of the Wrist and Hand- Fractures and dislocations, Arthritis, Joint contractures and Amputations
- Muscle, Tendon and Ligament- Tendon lacerations (ruptures), Ligament and cartilage injuries and Tendon inflammation
- Nerve- Nerve laceration or palsy and Nerve compression (carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Skin and Soft Tissue Issues Ganglion cysts in wrists and hands, Foreign body evaluation and removal, Nailbed and fingertip injuries, Infections, burns, or contractures and Skin grafts
- Vascular- Microvascular repair and Surgical treatment of Raynaud’s and other vasospastic disease
- Congenital- Duplicate thumb and Syndactyly
Advantagesof Hand and Wrist Surgery
The main advantages of hand and wrist surgeries are:
- Reduced pain
- Improves in hand functioning
- Hand- appearance can get improved
Hand Joint Replacement Surgery
Hand surgery is an orthopedic process dealing with problems dealing with the fingers, hands and wrists. This procedure helps in improving the range of motion, for repairing muscles, tendons or damage in hones due to injury or disease. It also helps in restoration of the appearance of hands and fingers, due to any reason.
Who should consider Hand Surgery ?
Hand injuries in automobile accidents or other forms of trauma can get treated
- Restoration of hand function
- Advantageous for people with medical conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis or osteoporosis
- Reduce pain
- Restoration of range of motion
- Patients suffering from birth defects or severe infections can get treated
What Are the Different Kinds of Orthopedic Hand Surgery?
Common types of hand surgeries are :
- Tendon or nerve repair
- Skin grafts
- Closed Reduction and Fixation
- Joint replacement
Tendon or nerve repairs are for patients with conditions due to trauma, infections and sports injuries. It is performed within 24 hours of injury for best results. These are very complex procedures and need to be done carefully.
Skin grafts are needed in the case of replacement or reattachment of skin of the hands or fingers, mainly used in the case of amputations of fingers. Here healthy skin is used from another area of the body to cover the problem area.
Closed Reduction and Fixation is necessary in the case of fractures occurred in the fingers or the bones of the hands. The process helps in proper re-alignment, reconstruction and repair of the bones with the help of rods, wires, splints and casts.
Joint Replacement, that is arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure for patients suffering from severe arthritis problems and needs replacement of joints of the fingers or wrist that are made of plastic, metal or silicone rubber.
Wrist Injuries And Disorders
Wrist of human beings is a complex structure of our hand, which consists of eight kinds of carpal bones.
There are various conditions seen in the wrist joint:
a) Scapholunate Ligament Rupture - Writs have many ligaments (soft tissues) to connect bones to each other. If due to any trauma, it gets ruptured, this surgery is performed.
b) Skiers (Ulnar Collateral Ligament) Thumb - This injury common in footballers and skiers, deals with the treatment of Ulnar collateral ligament of thumb. It happens when the thumb is bent backwards from the fingers
Scaphoid Fractures - This is the most important wrist bone and most commonly injured too. This surgery is performed in the case of a fracture.
a)T.F.C.C. Tears- Triangular Fibrocartilage (T.F.C.) is a strong ligament type in the wrist important for a number of purposes. When torn, causes pain in clicking or catching.
b)Wrist Arthroscopy- Performed under local anesthesia, it is useful in a number of conditions like removal scar tissues, assessment of joint surface etc.
Lumps and Bumps
a) Ganglion-It is a form of a lump/ cyst (non-cancerous), that occurs mainly in 4 sites. It might be painful and for its correction, a surgery is required.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
This is a painful condition in wrist, hands and arms that is caused due to depression of the median nerve, caused due to a number of reasons.
The major benefit of hand and wrist surgery in India is its price that is absolutely affordable. Any surgery involved here is done at pocket-friendly if a comparison is done with UK, USA and other western countries. A patient can avail such excellent-quality services internationally-trained medical practitioners who get the assistance of dedicated assistants . IN the case these surgeries, state-of-the-art equipments are put into use.