The state of coma is that condition where one suffers from unconsciousness that might have occurred due to a number of health issues such as alcohol or drug intoxication, stroke, severe head damage, brain tumor or an untreated illness along with any kind of contamination or diabetes.
This state is actually an emergency. We must take into notice that regular easy movement is required for proper featuring of brain and lifestyle. To search about the main cause of coma, doctors mostly conduct a number of blood tests and a mind CT scan so that they can chart out a plan of treatment.
Symptoms of Coma
Following are the general symptoms of coma:
- Abnormal breathing
- Closed eyes
- No reaction to painful incentives, besides for reflex actions
- Dejected brain reflexes
- Pupils not responding to mild actions also
- No response by limbs, besides normal reflex actions
Causes of Coma
There can be a number of causes of coma. Some of them can be:
- Shocking brain injuries and accidents – Any kind of strenuous mind injuries that can happen due to any act of violence or traffic accidents. However, they are not general reasons of coma.
- Tumor – Any damaged brain stem of tumor in the mind can trigger coma
- Lack of Oxygen – People who have been saved from any hear injury or who have been saved from drowning, might slip into comma due to loss of oxygen to the mind.
- Seizures – Problem of consistent seizures may lead to the condition of coma.
- Overdose– Overdose of pills/drugs or alcohol can cause coma
- Stroke – If there is interruption or delay in supply of blood to the brain, leading to stroke, this can block arteries or can burst a blood vessel, resulting in coma.
- Diabetes – People suffering from diabetes suffer from huge variation of blood sugar degrees, which might either become too low that is hypoglycemia or can become too excessive that is hyperglycemia, leading to coma.
- Infections – Severe infections such as meningitis and encephalitis leading to swelling in the brain, tissues surrounding the brain or the spinal cord can lead to the state of coma.
- Pollution – Coming in contact with toxins, including lead or carbon monoxide, can harm the brain, leading to coma.
- Physical examination
During body check-up, the doctor is going to check the reflexes and moves of the suffering individual along with student size, and his response to painful stimuli. He is also going to check the breathing style pf the person for diagnosing the reason of coma. Sometimes the skin of the person is also checked for any kind of bruise or bruises because of trauma.
The doctors also check the level of awareness of the individual by pressing the angle of jaw or by speaking loudly. He then checks for any sign of arousal through motion, vocal noises or eyes commencing.
The doctor also notices the reflexive eye moves. All this helps in deciding the main cause of the coma as well as the area where damage has happened in the brain.
Apart from this, the doctor might also sprinkled warm or cold water on the ear canals of the affected person for observing reactions of the eyes.
- Mind Scans
By using imaging and mind scans, the doctor can properly observe the area of the brain where the damage has been done. Following mind checks can be done:
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – During MRI, strong magnets and radio waves are used for creating a complete view of the brain. By this scan, a broken tissue in the brain can be detected, which might have occurred due to brain hemorrhages, an ischemic stroke and other similar health conditions. This scan helps analysis of deep brain structures and stem.
Automatic tomography (CT) test – During a CT, a number of X-rays are used for creating a detailed photo of the mind so that strokes, mind hemorrhage, tumors, any such other situation can be seen. This can is done for diagnosis and determination of the reason of coma.
Electroencephalography (EEG) – During this scan, the electric pastime in the brain is measured after the doctor attaches small electrodes to the scalp. A low electrical cutting-edge is passed through the electrodes for recording the electrical impulses of the brain. This test can determine if seizure is the cause of coma.
Treatment of Coma
As coma is a scientific emergency, first of all the doctor checks the airway of the affected person so that assisted respiration and circulation can be offered. Along with respiratory help, blood transfusions, and other kinds of supportive care might also be required.
The cause of coma determines its treatment. If there is swelling in the brain, processor medication for lessening stress can be required. Similarly, if coma has occurred due to drug overdose, different medication is given by the doctor for treating it. Medicine for controlling seizures will be prescribed if the condition is because of illness. Then, treatment is different for coma state if it is due to lover disorder, diabetes or any such underlying health issue.
In most of the cases, the reason for a coma can be upturned and the person suffering from it can gain back their daily senses. However, if the condition is due to some everlasting disabilities or severe brain damage or is not gaining consciousness by known methods easily, there can be serious problem. This can slowly turn the person into vegetative state or turn their brain completely useless.
[You may also read about Stroke Treatment in India]